Do I need to buy MagRota Filters of different sizes to match my lenses?
The MagRota filters are all the same size. It's a universal fit for lenses. You just need to purchase correct MagRota Base and then are able to interchange between lenses.
We offer MagRota bases in 4 different sizes at present, that is: MagRota base 82mm (contents 67-82/72-82/77-82 step up rings), MagRota base 86mm, MagRota base 95mm and MagRota base Z1424S (it fits Z1424S not the AFS 1424 2.8G).
What is the MagRota advantage compared with other brands?
1. Most magnetic filters in the market today only replace the structure of the thread-on filters. Our Velium MagRota adopts the latest US-patent design in 2022 (U.S. Patent No. 11,184,512), and it rivals the ordinary Matte Box that dominated the filmmaking industry for decades;
2. Our MagRota covers six types of filters: Streak, Mist, VND, CPL, GND, and IRND in a total of 11 filters. We will add nearly 20 types of filters such as Short StarPoint, StarGlow, CineConfetti, PureNight, Day for Night, CineSwirl, CineFlare, Anamorphic Fake, etc. in the future.
Right now the traditional magnetic filters only have the types of VND, CPL and Fixed ND.
3. Although the traditional magnetic filters adopt the magnetic design, each filter cannot perform its functions independently. It only has some of the most basic stacking features.
The MagRota filter can achieve the simultaneous use of Streak x VND x Mist without affecting the independent functions. In film production, Streak, VND, and Mist are the three most frequently used filters with bulky structures. So we break the traditional design and create the structure that makes the Streak filter achieve independent rotating while not interfering with the two glasses relatively rotating in VND filters.
4. MagRota rivals Matte Box, but the weight is only 30% of that of common Matte Box. For example, T***ta M**age, it weighs 615g, and our MagRota Base 95mm (61g) plus Streak (29g), CPL (31g), VND (38g), Mist (29g), the total weight of the four filters is 188g weighs only between the iPhone 14 and the iPhone 14 Pro.
5. The vignetting will appear at 18mm or 19mm when two traditional magnetic filters are stacked. T***ta M**age supports up to three filters at 17mm without vignetting. MagRota supports three filters at 14mm without vignetting and four filters at 16mm without vignetting.
Can I get these for fuji lenses or other APS-C lenses?
The fuji x-series lenses have relatively smaller front thread sizes. So for 67-77mm lenses, you can use MagRota base 82mm with the 67-82/72-82/77-82 step-up rings that come with the perks. If your lens thread size is smaller than 67mm, you need to purchase the step-up rings xx-82mm on your own.
What thread size of lenses does MagRota support? Can it be used on the cine lenses with the front diameter of 95mm?
MagRota supports 82mm, 86mm, and 95mm filter thread sizes for the lens with front inner threads. And Some lenses such as Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM are good with MagRota base 95mm. But some cine lenses with 95mm front diameter usually do not have inner threads so they can not be used with MagRota base 95mm.
I’m afraid you cannot use it directly on the telephoto lens because its thick barrel would prevent you screwing in the 95mm MagRota base. But there’s an easy way to fix it onto the telephoto lens. You can screw in a thick frame UV filter onto your lens first and then screw in the MagRota base 95mm onto this UV filter. Also, you can remove this UV glass and keep the frame only. We will release a heightened ring to fix this problem soon.
Our 95mm MagRota Base is of ultra-light & tiny design that weighs only 61g and is well compatible with Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM.
Why does the MagRota base look in a different position when using it on different lenses?
This is because different lenses of different brands have different starting positions of the screw thread. And if you’ve used an adapter, the position will be different, too. But it won’t influence your use of MagRota.
We didn’t add the structure to adjust the position because it will add thickness and vignetting on a super-wide angle of view.
Frankly, the MagRota base could be used with the original snap-on cap of some brands, such as the Nikon Z-mount lens cap . Sony E-mount and Canon RF-mount original caps can not be snapped on MagRota base directly. But rest assured, we have provided MagRota Magnetic Lens Cap for you.